Wednesday 8 August 2012

Whoopi cushions blows of aging in standup show Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/entertainment/Whoopi+cushions+blows+aging+standup+show/7060664/story.html#ixzz232tSzxP0

Whoopi Goldberg will perform Aug 10 at the River Rock Show Theatre and Aug. 11 at the Red Robinson Show Theatre.


Whoopi Goldberg’s stand-up observations range from the political to the intimate, and she is one of those comedians who can and does go off-script.

“My body falling apart is hugely on my mind,” she says. “Getting older is hugely on my mind. Trying to get laid, not wanting to get laid, but knowing I should get laid — that’s on my mind.”

Goldberg is not the kind of person who takes a summer holiday to contemplate these things.

She wrapped work on a season of her TV chat-fest The View at the beginning of August, which would seem like a good time to slap on the shades and read some trashy beach novel, but no, she’s heading our way for two nights of stand-up.

“After I leave you all in Vancouver, I go down to L.A. to do a spot on Glee,” Goldberg says over the phone from New York. It’ll be her fourth appearance this year on the musical TV series as a university theatre prof.

As to her stand-up act, she’s up front about mining a personal life that includes teen motherhood, becoming a grandmother in her 30s, and many well-publicized romances,

But we talk about joints, the anatomical kind. They start to hurt in your 50s, and we were told that only happens to joggers.

“Yeah, that’s what they tell you, but they lie,” she says. “It’s all about the lies they tell. You haven’t done anything to make them hurt, it just is. Everything’s going, it’s either falling or disappearing. I thought it was going to be different. I look in the mirror and I don’t see that age, I see somebody totally different.”

Which gets her back to sex. “About sex and women, you’re trying to figure it out from the time you find out you can do something, to the time you can’t do it anymore. Men have no issue, it’s all right there. All you have to worry about is zipping your pants too fast.”

Goldberg’s multiple roles as Oscar-winning actress (Ghost), author and commentator have people thinking they know her, and to hear her tell it, they do.

“I don’t get too far ahead of myself or put my head too far up my butt,” she says. “I do have an ego as we all should, but there is an approachability because I never want to be that person people say that about.”

So it figures that people call out to her from the audience like old friends when they’re at her shows. And sometimes she responds.

“You never can tell with me, you never know. I know that there will be women in my audience, there will be men. Some will be gay, some straight, and I’ll be talking to everybody and having fun.”

Remind her of how she and her colleagues on The View weighed in on U.S. comedian Daniel Tosh’s widely publicized on stage “rape is funny” riff, and Goldberg doesn’t back down.

“What nobody knew was, he was answering a question that he had been asked. But that’s not an interesting story, it’s much better if it suddenly came out of nowhere,” she says.

“The key is, if you are responding to an audience person, you can say, ‘that’s too way out for me,’ or ‘no, I can do that.’ That’s what comics do, and people who get offended easily should not go see comedy. You don’t what to see people who do what I do or what Tosh does. Because we’re bound to offend you.”

As to Tosh himself, “I’ve met him, I like him, I think he’s funny.”

Comedy

Whoopi Goldberg



No comments:

Post a Comment