Monday 2 September 2013

Big Sean: 'Kendrick Lamar's 'Control' verse is just what hip-hop needed'



Big Sean has spoken out about Kendrick Lamar's controversial verse on his track 'Control (HOF)'.

The Compton rapper caused a furore when 'Control (HOF)' premiered on August 12. After proclaiming himself king of New York, and – along with Jay Z, Nas, Eminem and Andre 3000 – one of the greatest MCs of all time, Lamar went on to pledge to "murder" his current competitors.
Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/kendrick-lamar/72398#rleCcjMPPZCdkGap.99

Speaking to NME in his hometown of Detroit, ahead of his appearance at DTE Energy Music Theatre, during which he was joined onstage by Drake and Nicki Minaj, Big Sean said he thought Lamar's verse was "was just what hip-hop needed". When asked if he had any idea that the track would blow up in the way it did, he said: "Yes, that's why I put it out! I think his verse was awesome! I respect Kendrick for that, that's my homie!"

He added: "It's definitely a sport, we all are doing it to be the best, just like he think's he's the best, I think I'm the best and Drake thinks he's the best and Jay-Z thinks he's the best and Kanye thinks he's the best. Everybody thinks they're the best at what they're doing and we do it to be the best."

Big Sean revealed that he wasn't in the studio with Kendrick Lamar when he recorded his contribution to the track, and added that he was initially shocked when he heard his friend's contribution, which sees him threatening to "murder" Sean, as well as other rappers. "At first I was like 'what the fuck' and then I really listened to what he was saying, and he honestly wasn't dissing, he was just saying that he's trying to be better than everybody, just like I feel. I say the same thing just in a different way." He continued: "It's all respectful and it's tight that we can have that type of spirit and it not be violent like how Biggie and [Tu]Pac was."

Lamar recently told LA radio station Power 106 that he was unaware how much of a storm his words would kick up. "I didn't know there would be so much speculation, I just want to rap," he said. "I think it's a case of maybe I should dumb down my lyrics just a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment